Frequently Asked Questions
Below are some questions commonly asked by people unfamiliar with the Dexter Church of Christ.
- Where is your church building?
- Is this church Catholic, Protestant, or Denominational?
- All of those labels carry certain preconceived notions. We'd like to suggest that we don't fit into any of those categories.
- Our goal is and has long been to simply be a congregation (or group) of people pledging allegiance to Christ and striving to obey the will of God our Father. We are simply a church of Christ in Dexter, Michigan.
- Are you part of the "International Churches of Christ," the "United Churches of Christ," etc.?
- Only in so far as all Christians are united in Christ.
- We are an independent, non-denominational congregation of Christ's Church with no binding affiliation to any other church or group of churches other than what we share as a result of our obedience to God as revealed in the Bible and our obedient faith in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.
- Who leads your congregation?
- As the bride of christ, the church is lead by Jesus through His teachings as revealed in the holy scriptures.
- In accordance with the apostle Paul's instructions found in the New Testament, we have a plurality of elders who shepherd the flock here in Dexter as well as a minister, deacons and other men who serve the congregation in a variety of functions.
- When do you offer the Lord's Supper (or "Communion" or "eucharist")?
- We offer it weekly during our Sunday Morning (10:30-11:30) assemblies.
- When sharing the fruit of the vine in communion, do you use one cup which everyone shares or an individual serving cup for each person?
- We provide an individual serving cup for each partaker.
- Do you use unfermented grape juice or wine in the Lord's Supper?
- We use unfermented grape juice.
- Do you use musical instruments in your worship?
- No, we sing to God and each other a cappella (which means in the style of the church or "without instruments").
- Must I be immersed again to join your church if I've already been immersed into Christ elsewhere?
- No, if you were previously baptized (literally, "immersed") in accordance with scripture, and you feel your baptism was scriptural, we do not require you to be rebaptized in order to worship with us.
- If you aren't sure or have doubts about your previous baptism, we'd be happy to discuss that with you if you like.
- Click here to contact the minister or elder of your choice.
- Which Bible do you use?
- We rely on the 66-book Bible common to many main-stream Christian fellowships.
- Our members use a variety of versions including (but not limited to) the
- New International Version (NIV)
- English Standard Version (ESV)
- New American Standard Bible (NASB)
- King James Version (KJV)
- Revised Standard Version (RSV)
- American Standard Version (ASV)
- New King James Version (NKJV)
- We encourage Christians to study regularly from a bible which they can understand and to reference multiple versions to better understand scriptures from a well-rounded and non-biased perspective.
- I have questions not answered by this FAQ. How can I get more information without visiting your building?
- Of course, we'd love to speak with you before or after one of our regularly scheduled assemblies; but understanding you may not be comfortable with that, we hope you'll contact our elders or preacher with any questions you may have.
- Click here contact the servant leader of your choice.